Looking for some cooking inspiration? Why not try recreating The Knowes Hotel’s Cullen Skink Risotto with Poached Hen’s Egg?
Follow the recipe below to find out how to perfect the dish.
- 1 tbspn oil
- 1 shallot onion, finely diced
- 150g arborio rice
- 500ml stock
- 2 smoked haddock fillets
- 50g double cream
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 free range eggs, poached
- Dash of vinegar
- Chopped parsley or pea shoot, to garnish
- Sprinkling of bacon or dried pancetta
- Sprinkling of crispy shredded potato
- Heat oil in a large pan over medium heat and add the diced shallot. Cook gently for a couple of minutes to soften. Add the arborio rice and stir.
- Add a ladle of hot stock to the rice and onions, stir well and allow to simmer. Add a squeeze of lemon.
- While the rice simmers, add the two fillets of smoked haddock and another ladle of stock to the pan. This allows the smoked haddock to infuse flavour into the risotto.
- Keep stirring gently and checking the rice, adding more stock as needed and allowing each ladle of stock to simmer away before adding the next.
- Once all of the stock is used up the rice should be soft, and the haddock cooked. Then, add the double cream and stir gently. Allow to simmer and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Poach two eggs in simmering hot water with a drop of vinegar. Now, serve the risotto, and add the poached egg, and chopped parsley or pea shoot to the plate.
- Finish with a sprinkling of bacon or dried pancetta and crispy shredded potato.