Follow the recipe below to recreate The Chocolate Bar’s vegan banana malt loaf.
- 100ml boiling water
- 100g pitted dates
- 100g sultanas, chopped
- 150g malt extract
- 50g soft dark brown sugar
- 250g plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 bananas, mashed
- Heat the oven to 160C/fan 140C/gas 3. Line a 900g loaf tin with a strip of baking paper, leaving the edges overhanging slighly.
- Boil the water then drop in the dates and sultanas, let cool. Gently heat the malt extract and sugar in a small pan while stirring, until the sugar has dissolved. Let cool until just warm.
- Put the flour and baking powder in a bowl. Mix in the melted sugar, bananas and fruit with the water. Tip the batter into the tin and bake for 1 hour.
- Brush the top of the cake with extra malt extract if you like (for a more golden finish), leave to cool in the tin.