Follow the recipe below to recreate Yan Oriental’s sweet and sour chicken in your home.
- 5 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 3 tbsp cornflour
- 4 cups of plain flour
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 3 chicken breast fillets, chopped into bite-size chunks For the sauce:
- 1 tbsp vegetables oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic gloves, crushed
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- 3 cup tomato ketchup
- 2 tbsp malt vinegar
- 6 tbsp brown sugar
- 432g canned pineapple chunks in juice
- Heat the oil in a wok or large pan.
- Place the egg in one shallow bowl and cornflour in another shallow bowl. Add flour, salt, pepper and garlic to another bowl and mix them together.
- Dredge the chicken in the cornflour and then dip it in the egg and finally dredge it in the seasoned flour.
- Add to the wok and cook on a high heat for six to seven minutes – turning it two or three times during cooking until well browned. Remove the chicken from the pan and place in a bowl lined with kitchen towels.
- Add the oil to a large frying pan and add in the onions. Cook for three minutes, stirring every now and then until the onions start to go translucent. Add the pepper and cook for a further minute.
- Add in the garlic and tinned pineapple, tomato ketchup, vinegar and dark brown sugar. Bring to the boil until slightly thickened.
- Transfer the cooked crispy chicken to the pan with the sauce and toss to coat.
- Serve with boiled rice.