Created by Vovem Meat & Liquor’s head chef Murray Dawson, this scorched mackerel and tomato consomme is one of the restaurant’s delicious starters.
Try recreating it yourself by following the recipe below…
- 1 Mackerel fillet
- 1 Lime
For tomato consommé:
- 250g plum tomatoes (quartered)
- 100g vine on cherry tomatoes
- 3 banana shallots (diced)
- 3 cloves garlic(minced)
- 1 stick celery(sliced
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 10 basil leafs
How to make the mackerel fillet:
- Check over Mackerel for bones before removing any and cutting fillet in half and seasoning with salt and a little oil. Finish under the grill or with a blowtorch just before serving
How to make the tomato consommé:
- Season quartered tomatoes with salt sugar and pepper and start the sauté vegetables in pan until softened.
- Blend both parts together coarsely and pass threw a cloth until a clear and fragrant consommé drops threw the cloth warming slightly before serving.
- We serve ours with a Mackerel tartare roll in some of the consommé set in jelly and finish our consommé with basil oil.