Follow the recipe below to recreate The Stack Restaurant & Bar’s Pan-fried Halibut with Local Crab in Orzo Pasta, Baby Gem and Bisque at home.
Recipe courtesy of the restaurant’s head chef Andy Smart.
- Four 170g halibut fillets, skinned
- 50g knob of butter
- Maldon salt
- One lemon, juiced
- Two baby gem lettuce or two gem hearts cut in half
- One clove garlic
- Two sprigs thyme
- 300g of orzo pasta, cooked in boiling salted water for eight minutes, then refreshed.
- 120g picked white crab meat
- One tablespoon of chopped herbs (dill, chives and parsley)
- 400ml crab bisque
- Heat a large saute pan, add the oil and the halibut fillets and cook on either side until golden brown, then reserve on baking tray.
- Add the baby gem to the pan (cut side down and) and cook until charred.
- Add butter, garlic and thyme.
- Add the halibut fillets back into the pan and baste with butter until cooked and season with the lemon juice.
- Gently heat the cooked orzo pasta mixed with herbs and crab meat with a drop of rapeseed oil or butter.
- Place the orzo into a bowl and top with the halibut, baby gem and surround with the bisque.