Follow the recipe below to recreate Bakeology with Matt’s carrot and pistachio cake.
- 155ml sunflower oil
- 230g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 11⁄2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 tsp mixed spice
- 1⁄2 tsp ground ginger
- 230g light brown sugar
- Finely grated zest of 1 orange
- 100g pistachios
- 260g carrots grated
- 3 medium free-range eggs, beaten well For the icing:
- 50g butter, softened
- 200g full-fat cream cheese
- 100g icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4. Grease an 18cm loose-bottomed round cake tin and line the base with baking paper.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and spices into a large bowl. Add the sugar, zest, pistachios and grated carrots, then stir until well combined. Stir in the beaten eggs and oil, then mix.
- Pour into the prepared cake tin and bake in the oven for an hour or until a skewer comes out clean. Turn out on to a cooling rack and leave to cool completely before icing.
How to make the icing:
- Beat the butter in a large bowl with a hand mixer until really soft. Add the cream cheese and beat again until well mixed. Sift over the icing sugar, add the orange zest, then beat until smooth.
- Store, covered, in the fridge until the cake is cool enough to ice.
How to plate the cake:
- Carefully cut the cake in half then spread half the icing between the cake layers and the other half on top. Decorate with chopped pistachios.