Follow the recipe below to make Hudsons Catering’s salted caramel chocolate tart in your north-east home.
For the pastry:
- 190g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 125g chilled unsalted butter, cubed
- 50g (2oz) caster sugar
- 1 egg
For the chocolate tart:
- 1 egg
- 1 block of butter
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 whole egg
- 100g caster sugar
- 375g good-quality cooking chocolate
For the salted caramel:
- 75g caster sugar
- 25g butter
- 100ml double cream
- 1 tbsp golden syrup
- seasalt flakes (to garnish)
- Preheat the oven to gas 4, 180°C, fan 160°C.
- In a large bowl, rub together the flour and butter with your fingertips until it resembles breadcrumbs. Stir in the sugar. Add in the egg and work the mixture with a fork, bringing it together to form a soft dough.
- Turn out onto a lightly-floured work surface and shape into a disc. Wrap in clingfilm. Chill for an hour.
- On a lightly-floured surface, roll out the chilled dough until 5mm thick. Carefully transfer to a 20cm tart tin. Press the dough into the tin, trim the edges and chill for 30 mins.
- Line the tart shell with foil and fill with blind baking weights or dried beans. Bake for 20 mins, remove the weights and foil, bake for a further 5 mins until dry. Leave to cool completely.
- Make chocolate filling by melting butter and chocolate in a bowl over a pan of hot water.
- Whisk the yolks, whole egg and sugar together until light in colour, then fold in the melted chocolate and butter mix.
- Next make the salted caramel mix, by heating sugar, butter and syrup together until caramel. Remove from heat and allow to cool before stirring in cream.
- Fold salted caramel mix into chocolate tart mix and pour into pre-baked pastry case.
- Bake on low in oven for 30 minutes – they should still be a little soft when ready.
- Sprinkle with sea salt flakes. Serve with your favourite local ice cream or sorbet and enjoy!